The Jordan River Service Inc was established in 1984. Our purpose is to work as a community-operated organisation, building community capacity in the Brighton Municipality. We manage the Bridgewater and Gagebrook Community Centres, Jordan River Community Workshed, Waterbridge Food Co-op and various other services and programs
Waterbridge Food runs two community gardens, two cooking programs and a food pantry. Our staff and volunteers grow fresh produce, cook delicious healthy meals and sell fresh affordable food in our community.
- We have developed and expanded two community gardens in Bridgewater and Gagebrook at the Community Houses.
- We harvest the garden produce to supply our Food Pantry.
- The gardens are a shared, safe place for community members to gather and enjoy each other’s company
The Cooking Programs
Waterbridge Food has two Cooking Programs run by staff and volunteers:
- Chefs at Home are people who come together to prepare and share a meal under the guidance of a tutor. This weekly drop-in program teaches safe food preparation, storage, handling and budgeting, as well as how to cook healthy meals.
- Fast Foodies are volunteer cooks, under the guidance of a supervisor, who cook healthy frozen meals, jams, chutneys and relishes for sale in the Pantry. Fast Foodies are trained in safe food handling for commercial purposes, portion control, presentation and packaging, as well as catering and cooking skills.
The food pantry
How does Waterbridge Food get our food for the Pantry?
- We harvest the excess produce from the community gardens.
- Our community donate excess produce from their gardens.
- We buy produce from local growers and local suppliers.
- Our Fast Foodies provide us with healthy frozen meals, jams, chutneys and relishes for sale in the Pantry.
What does the Food Pantry do?
- We sell low-cost healthy food. Our fresh produce is up to 50% cheaper than it is in supermarkets. Our nutritionally-balanced frozen meals leap out of the freezers at $4.50 a meal.
- We employ local people and develop retail and food handling skills.
- We provide suggestions around healthy cooking, food storing and eating with seasonal produce.
- We provide a chance to chat, and ‘soft referrals’ for assistance if needed.